Sunday, April 22, 2007

Karo

I wrote in my first blog how I emailed writer Aaron Karo when deciding to do my column in the beginning of the year. Well coincidentally he ended up coming to Lehigh 4/19 during Greek Week for a performance! I had to miss it unfortunately because I was home in New York for a few days, but my friends attended and filled me in. Dissapointed to hear, they were unimpressed. Yes they laughed at his jokes and felt like they could relate to his "ruminations," but all in all when they ended up speaking to him they didn't think too highly.

For one thing, he is a name dropper. Yes, we all do it, but something about him finding out my friend was from Roslyn and dropping names to her, really turned her off. I don't mind that, it's always fun to realize what a small world it is and realize you know people in common, but this friend happens to HATE name-droppers. She also said he was arrogant and thoughts very highly of himself. I guess that's what happens to some people when you get a lot of fans and experience success. I was dissapointed to hear that they got such a bad impression from him though! That being said I still think his stuff is pretty funny.

This brings me to the idea of meeting people you admire or meeting celebrities. Sometimes it exceeds your expectations and sometimes you end up feeling let down. I guess that's why it is good to just let entertainment be entertainment and not a part of your reality. I've met a bunch of random famous people throughout my life and had both good experiences and bad. Of course there are some people I would never turn down a chance to meet though!

1 comment:

Amanda Segal said...

I completely agree with the whole idea of letting entertainment be entertainment. After meeting several celebrities and being around them, it really isn't something to get too worked up about. People act like they're individuals that are above and beyond "normal" people, however, theyre just people too.